- Makes one 8-inch layered cake
Only three basic ingredients (eggs, sugar and flour) and you are ready to easily whip up a classic sponge cake with no fuss at all. The cake is delicious, light and airy. It’s so versatile that it can go with anything. Whipped cream, jam, buttercream, chocolate ganache, vanilla glaze… —Oh Sweet Day!
large eggs, room temp, separated
cake flour, sifted
good quality strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Scrape the meringue in another bowl. Set aside.
- In the same mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar on high speed until thick and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Mix for another minute.
- Sift flour and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of egg yolk mixture. Fold the flour mixture in the egg mixture, followed by half of the meringue.
- Fold the rest of the meringue into the batter until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pans evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake edge and place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until it holds stiff peak.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on your serving plate and spread 1/3 of the jam. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream on top. Place slice strawberries along the edge of the cake, and scatter some in the centre. Top with another cake layer, followed with jam, cream and strawberries.
- Chill the cake until ready to serve. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving.