Author Notes: Ripe strawberries with a wee bit of rose water tastes like puppy love to me, sweet, clean, bright with an sly sensuous perfume wafting hopefully in the background. So romantic ..strawberries, roses..luscious redness..Forgive my prose have been rereading Tom Robbins books lately (btw they are not as fascinating when you have left your 20's). I often dress strawberries with splash of rose water and a bit of sugar.. went a bit farther and created the 'coulis"...which I have frozen in ice cube trays for later use in Strawberry Rose Lassi...Strawberry Rose Daquiri..Strawberry Rose Champagne Cocktail. —Aliwaks
Serves: 4 cups
quarts ripe to overripe strawberries
1/2 - 1
cups Raw Sugar, the amount will depend on teh sweetness of the berries
tablespoons lemon juice
scraped vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
tablespoon (or more) Rose water
- Wash & trim berries well, grind in food mill on finest setting.
- Set lemon juice, sugar, vanilla bean + 1/2 cup (if you had leftover champagne or white wine you could use that instead of water) or so of water over medium flame, bring to boil let cool.
- Blend simple syrup with strawberries, add rose water, taste adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour in to ice cube trays and freeze, when solid remove from trays and put cubes in a freezer bag.
- Suggestion #1: Strawberry Rose Lassi, 4 Cubes, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 green cardamon pod Blend ..yum
- Suggestion # 2: Strawberry Rose Daquiri: 5 cubes, 1 shot white rum, 1 count grand marnier or triple sec, squeeze lime juice..blend
- Suggestion # 3 Grind sugar with organic rose petals, rim champagne flute with rose sugar, Drop 1 cube in glass of chilled sparkling wine, garnish with organic rose petal.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries