Author Notes: Strawberries add a floral complexity to what is already a sweet, Asian style sauce. I like to infuse the berries with lemongrass since citrus notes compliment their flavor. I usually serve this sauce atop sauteed or broiled fish and sticky rice and steamed snow peas are great accompaniments to serve alongside. —mollysmenu
- 1.5 cups strawberries, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- .5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- Place berries, lemongrass, sugar, water and ginger in a medium pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, or until the berries begin to break down.
- Remove from heat and place the contents of the pot, along with soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil in a blender and pulse to combine.
- If the sauce appears too thick, thin with small amounts of water until it is a sauce like consistency.
- Taste and season with additional sugar or soy if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries