Author Notes: This super-simple, super-delicious recipe was inspired by Sacripantina, a cake I used to buy from a bakery in North Beach in San Francisco. Because it is very light and served cold, it makes a great dessert for summer especially with the addition of strawberries! —Lori Lyn Narlock
Serves: 6 to 8
packet angel food cake mix
cups whole strawberries
cup brandy or dessert wine
tablespoon granulated sugar
cups heavy cream
- Bake the angel food cake according to the package directions, using an angle food cake-shaped pan. Let cool.
- Slice half of the strawberries and put in a bowl. Add the brandy and sugar. Let sit for 20 minutes. Set the remaining whole strawberries aside or refrigerate.
- Using a slotted spoon, put the sliced strawberries in a blender or small food processor, reserving the liquid. Blend the strawberries until smooth.
- Put the cream in a large bowl and whip on medium speed with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Transfer half of the whipped cream to a bowl and add the pureed strawberries. Gently fold together with a spoon or spatula.
- Put the cake on a flat surface and cut into three rings using a serrated knife and cutting from one side to the other keeping the knife parallel with the flat surface. Place the bottom slice on a cake plate and brush with the liquid reserved from the strawberries. Spread enough of the strawberry-whipped cream mixture over the top to form a 1/4-inch layer. Arrange the middle slice of cake over the top and brush with some juice from the strawberries. Spread enough of the strawberry-whipped cream mixture over the top to form a 1/4-inch layer. Arrange the top slice of cake on top. Gently fold together any remaining strawberry-whipped cream with the plain whipped cream and spread over the top and sides of the entire cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight and up to three days. (It can also be frozen and left at room temperature to soften slightly before serving.)
- Slice the remaining strawberries. Cut the cake into slices using a serrated knife. Top each slice with the sliced strawberries and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries