If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A luscious Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake that's thick and bursting with lemon! Made with coconut flour and topped with crispy baked lemon zest, this cake makes an excellent low-carb, gluten-free, calorie friendly snack! —Megan Olson
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F and prepare a 9X9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a standing mixer or using a hand mixer, combine egg whites with salt, lemon juice and lemon extract. Mix ingredients until egg whites are thick and fluffy.
- Add honey, unsweetened applesauce and coconut oil and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, baking powder, almond flour and coconut flour.
- Then add flour mixture slowly to liquid mixture while mixing. Do not over combine. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid quickly so you do not need to mix much.
- Place the bread mixture in the baking pan. Use the palm of your hand to gently press it evenly throughout the pan. Then add the zest of one lemon evenly to the top of the bread.
- Bake the cake 50 minutes or the top turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool another 30 minutes on a rack before slicing into 12 luscious bars.