- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 10
Louise slice is a sweet bite with the egg yolk base, raspberry filling and coconut meringue topping making for a less traditional, but equally impressive dessert. —Sylvie Taylor @ Roamingtaste
What You'll Need
butter, room temperature
1 2/3 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 160C/320 and line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the butter and first portion of sugar into a bowl and beat on medium until pale and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add in the egg yolks and combine until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- Add your flour and baking powder and beat on the lowest setting until the flour has just been combined and no dry portions remain in your bowl.
- It will be quite crumbly, but that is what you want!
- Pour the crumbly mixture into your tin and press firmly into your baking tin base until even. Set aside.
- Spoon the raspberry jam over the base and spread out evenly. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a clean and dry bowl and beat on medium until soft peaks form.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of the 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until well combined, approximately 45 seconds.
- Repeat by adding 1 tablespoon sugar and combine until fully incorporated and the meringue begins to look slightly glossy and are stiff.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the raspberry jam and make small marks into the meringue or small peaks.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden on top, covering the meringue with foil, if necessary to ensure it doesn’t brown too much.
- Remove and allow to cool in the baking tin.
- Lightly press the edges of the meringue to pull away from the edges of the tin.
- Once cool completely, pull the slice out of the tin and slice evenly.
- Serve and dig in!