If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A delightfully sweet, tangy, messy, spicy pita exploding with flavour! —Tara Binder
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package tofu drained, pressed and cut into 8 equal slabs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon chana masala spice
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup finely diced cucumber
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yoghurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 pitas, cut in half
- mango chutney
- Drain your tofu in a tofu press or by wrapping it in a towel and placing something heavy on top of it for about 20 minutes.
- Using a small bowl mix your fresh ginger, pressed garlic, garam masala, paprika, chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, fennel seeds, sugar and salt. Add the oil to get a paste like consistency.
- Cut your drained block of tofu in half and then flipping the whole block on it's side, cut it into 4 equal slices. You will have 8 equal slices in total.
- Cover the tofu on both sides with the spice rub using a pastry brush or with your hands (easier). Use all of the spice mix and place the rubbed tofu in a covered dish in the fridge to marinate for an hour or two (give or take).
- For the salad: In a small mixing bowl whisk your tamarind paste, chana masala spice and lime juice.
- Chop your tomatoes, cucumber and red onion and add it to the mixing bowl.Stir gently to combine.
- Add your chopped cilantro.
- For the Mint Cumin Yoghurt Sauce: In small bowl mix the coconut yoghurt, cumin and finely chopped fresh mint.
- Heat a cast iron or other skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil and when hot, cook the tofu for 3-4 minutes per side and flip. Cook the other side for the same amount of time.
- To assemble: Cut the pitas in half.
- Take one half and spread mango chutney on the inside top and bottom of the bread. Add relish to the bottom.
- Add two (or one if you prefer!) slices of tofu and fill the remainder of the pita with the 'salad'. Top with Mint Cumin Yoghurt Sauce. Repeat.