If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We eat a lot of meals that include Indian spices, so I make this raita at least once a week. (I only include the tomatoes when I can get them locally. If I can’t, I substitute a small carrot, grated.) You can use any organic cucumber, if you can’t get the Persian. Seed and peel them, as appropriate. Do take the time to toast and ground your cumin seeds, as it’s well worth the effort. If you have some left over, it will keep for a while, giving you that nice freshly ground taste for a few days. We particularly like a dollop or two of this stirred into spiced dal with seasonal vegetables, and mulligatawny, and a long-time favorite, Julie Sahni’s brown rice pilaf with cumin, cashews and broccoli. Enjoy!! —AntoniaJames
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
2 medium organic Persian cucumbers ( 1 ½ cup diced)
Large pinch of kosher salt
Juice of ½ lime
Large pinch of freshly toasted and ground cumin seed
10 or 12 cherry, grape or pearl tomatoes
Large pinch of raw cane sugar
¾ cup Greek yogurt (2 % or whole)
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, or more, to taste
Freshly ground pepper
- Dice the cucumber, leaving the skins on, into ½ inch cubes. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. (Toss after about five minutes.)
- In a bowl that’s large enough to hold the raita, combine the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- I usually cut the tomatoes, even if very small, in two, to allow their juices to flavor the raita. That is optional, however.
- When the cucumbers have sat for at least 15 minutes – you do this to draw out their juices – add them and all the juices to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Toss to combine. Allow to sit for another few minutes, then check for salt and pepper, and correct if necessary.
- Stir gently again, just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe