If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Broccoli is such a superfood I’m always looking for new ways to build it into everyday eating. This is one of those great café salads you can prep ahead of time and dress just before you serve. Peeling the broccoli stalks makes them tender. —Candy Hutzell
Garlic Chili Dressing
- 1/4 cup neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- white parts of two green onions, finely chopped (reserve greens for garnish)
- 1-2 teaspoons finely chopped red chili, to taste
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- To make the Garlic Chili Dressing, place the oil, garlic, green onion whites and chili in a small pan.
- Cook over a very gentle heat until the garlic is softened but not browned (about 10 minutes). Alternatively, bake at 300ºF for 15 minutes.
- Mix in lemon zest and juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12-16 shavings of parmesan or pecorina (shaved with a vegetable peller
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
- To make the salad, drop broccoli into a large pot of boiling salted water and boil 2 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain again and pat dry.
- Grill over medium-high heat until tender and lightly charred (about 4 minutes each side).
- When ready to serve, toss Garlic Chili Dressing through broccoli and garnish with parmesan or pecorino, parsley or cilantro and reserved green onion greens. Serve at once.
- Simple Pleasures, screening now on PBS. The accompanying book, containing all the recipes from the series, is available on amazon.com http://amzn.to/1GxXv0v To preview the series go to http://bit.ly/1iKu2FW and for a PBS screening schedule go to http://bit.ly/1JDaUQD