If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Dress this Simple Citrus Almond Salad with a few crumbles of queso fresco and a homemade orange vinaigrette! —garlic and zest
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a starter
- 2 oranges, zest one of the oranges for the dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 head of Boston bibb lettuce, leaves roughly torn
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 3-4 basil leaves, cut in chiffonade (very thin strips)
- In a small bowl combine the orange zest, garlic, dijon, olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk until emulsified and set aside. (This makes more dressing than you'll need for this salad. Save any extra for other salads.)
- Segment the orange. Using a sharp knife cut away the peel and pith of the orange exposing the juicy segments. Cut in between the membrane of each of the orange segments and transfer the segments to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the lettuce to a large salad bowl. Top with onion, queso fresco and orange segments. Add 4-5 tablespoons of dressing and toss the salad. If it needs more dressing, add more a little at a time. Sprinkle the salad with the toasted almonds and fresh basil. Serve.