If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In Tuscany, this dish is often made with duck or goose liver, chicken liver is easier to find with little change of flavor —Chuck48
Serves 6 - 10
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 4 salted anchovy fillets, well-rinsed and patted dry and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices of rustic country bread, toasted
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add diced onion. cook until soft, but not brown.
- Add chicken livers, capers and anchovies. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add the wine, tomato paste and simmer until reduced to almost dry.
- Pulse the mixture into a food processor until blended but still lumpy -- it should NOT be smooth like a puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove to a small mixing bowl.
- spread each piece of toasted bread with 1 heaping tablespoon of the liver mixture.