Author Notes: In Tuscany, this dish is often made with duck or goose liver, chicken liver is easier to find with little change of flavor —Chuck48
Serves: 6 - 10
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
medium red onion, finely diced
ounces chicken livers
tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
salted anchovy fillets, well-rinsed and patted dry and roughly chopped
tablespoons tomato paste
cup dry red wine
salt and pepper to taste
slices of rustic country bread, toasted
In This Recipe
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add diced onion. cook until soft, but not brown.
- Add chicken livers, capers and anchovies. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add the wine, tomato paste and simmer until reduced to almost dry.
- Pulse the mixture into a food processor until blended but still lumpy -- it should NOT be smooth like a puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove to a small mixing bowl.
- spread each piece of toasted bread with 1 heaping tablespoon of the liver mixture.