Author Notes: My Black and White panini is a comfort-food recipe with salty, spicy, sweet, cheesy flavors. And it looks oh so elegant - for a grilled cheese sandwich anyways. I'd gladly stroll through a black tie event with this two-tone panini dream in-hand. No caviar on toast for me thanks. Try my b&w creation... —kathynyc
Makes: 2 sandwiches
pieces sandwich bread
tablespoons homemade olive tapenade
tablespoons horseradish spread
teaspoons balsamic vinegar
tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
dashes fresh black pepper
cup cannellini beans
cups black olives
- 1. Gather your ingredients. Prepare olive tapenade by combining all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- 2. Spread olive tapenade onto one side your sliced bread.
- 3. Spread horseradish onto other slice of bread. Use enough of each spread so that the entire surface is lightly coated. Use more horseradish for more spiciness.
- 4. Drizzle 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar on top of the olive tapenade. Grind some pepper over top. Smear vinegar into spread with a butter knife or spoon.
- 5. Place 'black' slice onto panini press or grill. Top with cheese. Place 'white' horseradish slice of bread on top of the cheese. Optional: Rub outer sides of bread with a bit of EVOO.
- 6. Grill until cheese melts and sides of bread are a deep brown grill-marked color. Cool. Slice. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella