If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The long hot summer is here and I've been making sorbet with my children almost every day of the week. This luscious sorbet sings of cherries ripened in the summer sun. Lime is a natural partner with cherry as long as it doesn't steal the show; the trick is finding the right balance to allow the cherry flavor to shine. I think this sorbet does just that. NOTE: I've been experimenting with agave and am not sure if it is necessary to boil the water/agave mixture to make a syrup. I've come across some recipes that simply mix the agave in. However, when I made this recipe I boiled the syrup and so that's how I have it written. This sorbet is also best within a day or two of making it; it gets a little hard once it sits in the freezer for an extended period of time. TIP: If you are making a lot of sorbets like I have been, making the simple syrup the night before is a time saver. Doing it ahead of time ensures that my syrup is extra cold and ready for the next concoction. - gingerroot —gingerroot
Food52 Review: Very simple, good and refreshing, thanks to the lime. My kids lapped it up. - Amanda —The Editors
Makes about 1 quart
1 Tablespoon light agave
cups ripe but firm cherries, pitted, halved (about 50)
cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Make a simple syrup by bringing water and agave to a boil. Boil for two minutes, until thoroughly combined. Take off heat and let cool. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Combine cherries, lime juice and chilled simple syrup in a blender. Puree until mostly liquefied, allowing some cherry bits to remain (cherry bits add color and texture to sorbet).
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. After 40 minutes in my machine, the sorbet was soft but smooth. Freeze longer for a firmer sorbet.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries