Makes: about 80
pounds all purpose flour
pounds about 1 & 1/3 sticks unsalted butter
egg yolks + 2 additional
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix the flour with baking powder. Dissolve baking soda in the lemon juice.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the sugar and butter and mix for about 10-15 minutes, until the butter is creamy and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, whilst mixing. Pour in milk and mix to combine.
- Add the flour, little by little, whilst mixing. Pour in baking soda and continue mix for a while then pour vanilla extract.
- Continue mixing until the ingredients are combined and they become a homogeneous soft dough not too sticky. Alternatively, knead with hands.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Preheat the oven at 380°F or 200°C.
- Take a small portion of dough and roll out to form cords about 5.5 inches or 14 cm. long and 3/8 inch or 1 cm thick, then fold over in half and twist.
- Place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving some distance between them.
- Beat 2 egg yolks with 1 tbsp water or milk, brush the top and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.