- Serves 4
large (12 ounces) sweet potato
medium 94 to 5 ounces each) Mexican chorizo
large (8 to 10 ounces) flour tortillas
chipotle in adobo with 1 tablespoon of the sauce
medium green pepper or large poblano, chopped (3/4 cup)
green onions, diced
4 to 6 ounces
queso blanco or Monterey Jack cheese, finely chopped (1 to 1-1/2 cups)
1 to 2 teaspoons
sour cream, optional
In This Recipe
- Rinse sweet potato and pierce several times with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and bake sweet potato 50 to 55 minutes or microwave 5 to 7 minutes on high power until tender.
- Set aside to cool, then peel and mash slightly. Or use 1 1/2 cups leftover sweet potatoes and ignore this step.
- Meanwhile, cook and crumble chorizo.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add tortillas, one at a time, and soften by heating a few seconds on each side; arrange on work surface.
- Mash the chipotle with a fork and spread over the tortillas.
- Divide the sweet potato onto the tortillas and spread to cover half of each tortilla.
- Divide the chorizo, pepper, green onions, and cheese onto the sweet potato.
- Fold over the tortilla to cover the ingredients.
- Return skillet to medium heat.
- Add half of the butter and 2 quesadillas.
- Brown on each side adding a little more butter if needed. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
- Set aside for about a minute before cutting each into halves or thirds.
- You can serve this with sour cream but, it is so good by itself, you really do not need any extra condiments.