If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was recently experimenting with fermenting my own miso. It is easier than it seems (I wrote about my experience here, https://fermentedlyyours.com/2015/02/12/sweet-yellow-eyed-bean-miso/, and there is also a great recipe on this site). I made sweet miso, which is younger and more balanced between salty, sweet and funk than its older cousins. This soup, with a side of steamed rice, is one of my favorite comforting, no-fuss dinners —Pia S
- 1 piece kombu (seaweed for making dashi)
- 2 tablespoons bonito flakes (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon hijiki (dried seaweed)
- 1 piece small carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sweet miso (or white / mild miso)
- 1-2 Scallions, white and tender green parts thinly sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt (to taste)
- lime wedges (to serve)
- Bring the water to a boil and then lower to a bare simmer. Add the kombu, turn water to lowest heat, cover and let sit 20-30 minutes. Add bonito flakes, if using, let steep 5-10 additional minutes. Strain broth, discard solids and return to pot.
- Bring broth up to a simmer, add hijiki, carrot and tofu and simmer until carrot is at the desired tenderness (I like them still pretty crisp, so usually simmer 2-3 minutes).
- Put about 2-3 tbsp of the broth in a small bowl and mix in the miso so you have a paste. Turn the heat on the broth to its lowest setting and stir the miso in gently.
- Poach the eggs until just set (3-4 minutes) - either in a separate pot of barely simmering water with a tbsp of vinegar or, if you don't mind a few stray strands, directly in the soup. Put one egg in each soup bowl, and divide the soup between the two. Top with scallions and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges and a bowl of steamed rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner