If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Back in India street side stalls or carts are really famous for their egg dishes. Some of them even claim that they can make 200 egg dishes. Wow.. although I have never tried 200 egg dishes, I have definitely tried many variations of eggs. You would hardly find any dishes in a cookbook. They are all inventions of these cooks who have learnt from each other due to business rivalry. When a restaurant opened up in Jersey serving only eggs in various forms or ways I was happy as it brings back all the memories we have of eating eggs. Try this dish which has the same Indian gravy base but the eggs are hard boiled and then shredded into the gravy. You can also add some sliced hard boiled eggs to it. The fun way to serve this is in bread bowl like South African staple bunny chow. Or make savory french toast and serve the gravy on top of it. —PistachioDoughnut
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups tomato chunks with sauce
- 1 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (you can add more if you like a little spice)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- chopped coriander leaves or parsley for garnish
- 1 loaf of bread (only if you serve it bunny chow style)
- Cheese of your choice (optional)
- Take some oil in a pan, saute onions, grated garlic, green chili paste for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes alongwith the sauce. One of by one add the dry spices - turmeric, garam masala, salt. Let it cook for some time. Once you see oils separating and remove it.
- Use a grater and grate about 4 hard boiled eggs directly into the gravy. Mix it well. With remaining two eggs, slice them and place them over the shredded egg gravy.
- 3 styles to serve it 1.Serve it with rotis, bread, or ever fried rice. 2.To serve it in bread bowl. Take a big loaf of bread, hollow out the middle and make a bowl out of it. Keep the hollowed bread for soaking up the curry. Add the egg gravy to the bread bowl and place the sliced eggs also, add some grated cheese of your choice, garnish it with some parsley or coriander leaves. Enjoy. Make it Bunny chow style. 3. Whisk 2 eggs, season it with black pepper and salt and dip bread slices in it and cook the bread slices on the griddle, add the leftover whisked eggs on top of the bread slices and make savory french toast. Do not worry if the egg does not stay on top of the slices. It will spread out in the pan , just fold like omlette. Laddle the gravy with eggs once the toast is ready. Serve it with some coriander leaves and cheese if you like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner