If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Full of strawberry fruitiness, perfectly dense, and deliciously moist. My best pound cake. —Betty Hung
Makes one 9" x 5" loaf
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Preheat oven to 450 F / 230 C. Toss all ingredients in a bowl, spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool until ready to use. Reserve strawberry syrup to brush on cake.
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- zest and juice of a small lemon
- 1 cup tbsp sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 3 tablespoons marzipan, optional
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan, dust inside with flour, tap out extra.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream and lemon juice.
- In a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment on medium, beat butter, marzipan, lemon zest, and sugar until light, about 3 minutes. Add eggs in three additions, scraping the bowl and mixing until smooth - the mixture will start to curdle.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the sour cream mixture, mix on low speed incorporate. Repeat the step, scraping the bowl if necessary.
- Using a silicone spatula, fold in roasted strawberries just until they are evenly distributed. Pour into prepared pan, leveling off with the spatula.
- Bake cake in preheat oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs. Cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a rack.
- Brush the reserved syrup onto the top and sides of the cake. Cool completely before serving, about 2 hours. Garnish with fresh strawberry slices and edible flowers, if desired. To store, wrap tightly in plastic in room temperature for up to 2 days.