Author Notes: Inspired by Melissa Clark's deconstructed Turkish dumplings, taking cues from traditional Arabic/Mediterranean flavors, this easy weeknight-worthy recipe is fresh and flavorful without being heavy. —TheThinChef
Serves 2 with leftovers
Herbed Beef + Eggplant Sandwiches
- 3 Japanese eggplants or 1 regular eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 flatbread sandwich wraps or pitas, warmed
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 450º. Toss eggplant with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a big pinch of salt; place on a large rimmed baking sheet, and roast for 12 minutes, or until eggplant is browned and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, breaking it apart with the spatula. Toss everything to combine, and cook until beef is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant to skillet, and toss. Add herbs and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper flakes, and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Spoon filling into bread, dollop with yogurt sauce and serve.