I made this recipe about 8-9 years ago when tomatoes and fresh basil were at the tops of their flavors. I was tired of the same old BLT and wanted to pump up the flavors.
I made this recipe about 8-9 years ago when tomatoes and fresh basil were at the tops of their flavors. I was tired of the same old BLT and wanted to pump up the flavors.—bobzaguy
pieces thick-sliced bacon (Neuskie's is nice)
teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
large fresh basil leaves
medium ripe tomato, peeled and thick-sliced
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
slices Italian style bread
large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Fry bacon over medium low heat until evenly done, not too crisp. Season bacon slices with cracked black pepper as they crisp.
- Stack and roll 6 basil leaves into a cylinder and thinly slice (chiffonade) the basil. Add to mayonnaise in a small bowl and combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide and spread the basil mayo on both slices of bread. Divide and arrange 10-12 whole basil leaves on the 2 slices of bread. Arrange the sliced tomato on one slice and season tomatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Drain bacon slices on paper towels and place on top of the tomato. Top the bacon with the second bread slice with basil to make a sandwich.
- Slice in half and enjoy with a tall glass of iced lemon-limeade.
- Double the ingredients to make the number of sandwiches you need.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil