Author Notes: Usually, I follow original Nigella Lawson’s recipes for Clementine Cake and make with Clementine and almond flour. This time I used blood oranges and shredded unsweetened coconut instead. If I have to cook citrus for two hours, usually I will cook for 2-3 cakes and store them in the freezer. —anka
grams blood oranges (about 2 medium)
grams white sugar (1 cup)
grams shredded unsweetened coconut (about 3 cups)
teaspoon baking powder
- Put the blood oranges in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and when cool remove the seeds if there is any. Put the blood oranges; skins and all in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Line a 21cm / 8 inch or 23 cm / 9 inch spring form with parchment paper.
- Add all the other ingredients to the food processor and mix.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, cover with foil first 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in a springform.
- It will be even better the next day.