If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Sweet (but not too sweet) date ice cream with a perfect crunch of walnuts.
Sweet (but not too sweet) date ice cream with a perfect crunch of walnuts.—Vicky | Things I Made Today
Makes: 1 1/2 quarts
cup granulated sugar
ounces whole dates, pitted
pinch Kosher salt
cup whole milk
cups heavy cream, divided
egg yolks, slightly beaten
cup walnut, chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Continue to boil until the sugar has dissolved completely, stirring occasionally. Add the dates and salt and boil for 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let dates sit for 5 minutes to cool.
- Use a food processor to puree the mixture until smooth. Transfer back to saucepan.
- Add whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream to the date mixture. Pour remaining heavy cream into a large bowl and set aside.
- Over a medium-low heat, stir date mixture until it just barely starts to simmer, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour ½ a cup of warm date mixture into the eggs and continue whisking until eggs have tempered.
- Pour tempered eggs back into saucepan and turn up heat to medium. Stir constantly with a heatproof spatula until a custard forms and thickly coats the back of the spatula, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour into the large bowl with the remaining heavy cream. Stir well until custard cools, then transfer to refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Churn ice cream based on your ice cream maker manufacturer's instructions. Fold in walnuts and freeze overnight.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best No-Bake Desserts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates