If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This vegetarian recipe was just something that I came up with when I had a lot of fresh veggies and a really good bottle of Vodka Tomato sauce. I like to cook half of the onions but reserve some uncooked at the end to give the pasta an extra dimension. You can add any additional ingredients (cooked meat, fresh or cooked veggies, olives, etc.) to this basic recipe. —RettaMae
- 8 ounces Whole Foods Penne Rigate Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Chopped sweet onion (hold 1/4 cup in reserve)
- 1/4 cup Chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped celery
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons Ground cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- To Taste, Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 quart Vodka Pasta Sauce (Bertolli)
- 1 cup Diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons Capers
- 1/4 cup Diced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- Cook 8 ounces of pasta according to directions on the box.
- Melt olive oil and butter in a medium sized skillet.
- Saute minced garlic, sweet onion, red bell pepper and celery in skillet until translucent - then add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste.
- Once pasta is drained - add to skillet: vegetables, Vodka sauce, salt, pepper, tomatoes, uncooked onions, and capers - mix well over a low heat until warm.
- Finish with fresh basil and cheese. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil