Author Notes: I made this recipe for the first time a few months ago, when I really wanted to do something different that would impress! It does take some time and attention, but well worth it! It is great over melon served with mint, I served it over Honeydew and Cantaloupe. —[email protected]
cups fresh basil leaves
cup fresh lime juice
- Bring water and 2/3 cup sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then simmer 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely in an ice bath, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Purée syrup with basil and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon lime juice until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 3-quart shallow nonreactive container, pressing on and then discarding solids
- Freeze basil-lime syrup, stirring and crushing lumps with a fork every 30 minutes, until evenly frozen, about 2 hours.
- One hour before serving; Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon sugar. Let macerate, tossing occasionally, about 15 minutes. Scrape granita with a fork, crushing any lumps. Cooks' Notes: •Granita can be made 1 day ahead. Scrape again before serving. This granite is fantastic drizzled over fresh melon and garnished with a little fresh mint on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil