If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Espresso infused chocolate cake topped with espresso buttercream —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes 12 cupcakes
- Chocolate Espresso Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot strong espresso
- Espresso Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cooled espresso
- 1/4 cup crushed whoppers or other chocolate candies
- To prepare cupcake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Crack in the egg, spoon in the sour cream, and pour in the oil and the vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour in the hot espresso, and slowly mix until smooth and liquidy.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, about halfway full. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely.
- To prepare buttercream, beat butter for a few minutes in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add powdered sugar and turn your mixer on low, beat until the sugar incorporates with the butter. Add heavy cream and espresso, beat on medium speed for another 3 minutes, or until buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream. Top with crushed candies.
More Great Recipes: Desserts