If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Handmade Christmas Cake, anybody can make from scratch.
Dairy free - Substitute butter for a Dairy free alternative such as Pure or Vitalite. Gluten free - gluten free flour, gluten free baking powder, Xanthan gum. Vegan - use a milk alternative (nut,rice,oat etc) instead of the egg.
Nut allergy? Use a semolina or coconut based roll instead of marzipan.
Serves 8 to 12
- 300 grams Self Raising Flour
- 300 grams Brown Sugar
- 4 Free Range Eggs
- 300 grams Butter
- 400 grams Mincemeat from a jar
- 1 packet Mixed fruit
- 2 teaspoons Mixed spice, or 1 each of Cinnamon and Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Brandy or Rum
- 1 packet Ready to roll White Marzipan
- 100 grams Green Marzipan
- 100 grams Red Marzipan
- 1 cup Apricot jam
- Cream the butter and sugar together using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Beat the eggs and fold in half, along with half the amount of flour.
- Add mincemeat, spices, fruit and brandy. Then fold in the rest of the egg and remaining flour.
- Cook in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 150°C for 1 hour. Then turn the temperature down to about 110°C and cook for a further 3 hours or until the centre is dry.
- Warm the Jam until spreadable, leave to cool and then apply to the top of the cake.
- Roll out white Marzipan and cover the cake, cut off excess with a knife.
- Roll red marzipan into balls in the palm of your hand, Use a cutter for the green marzipan to make leaves. Now you have your holly bushes for decoration.
- Put a ribbon around the cake and find a message to use as a centre piece. Open some cheese and tuck in!