Author Notes: This recipe for grilled mackerel with tangy salsa verde and sweet oranges is one of my favourite summer bbq meals. Mackerel is a slightly oily fish which ensures that it won't dry out under the intense heat of the bbq. Rather, you'll end up with a perfectly cooked, orange scented fish with a delicious, salsa verde infused, crispy outside. Perfection.
Whole mackerel - scaled, cleaned and patted dry
tablespoons flat leaf parsley - chopped
tablespoon capers - rinsed, drained and chopped
teaspoon green peppercorns - chopped
garlic clove - minced
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
teaspoon sea salt (plus more for sprinkling inside fish)
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. on either side of the fish, make 3-4 slits 1/2 inch deep and rub the fish, inside and outside, with salt.
- to make the salsa verde, in a small bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, capers, green peppercorns, black pepper and salt. mix well.
- using your hands, rub the salsa verde onto the fish, taking care to get as much as you can into the slits. repeat on both sides. pour any remaining juices left in the bowl over the fish.
- stuff the cavity of the fish with 2-3 orange slices.
- Grill in a well oiled fish basket on a preheated BBQ for 20 minutes until the fish flakes easily when poked with a sharp knife. OR, roast in a 425° oven on a roasting tray with a bottom rack for 35 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and the fish flakes easily when poked with a sharp knife.