If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this cake for a friend's birthday. She has a medical condition and can't eat much sugar regardless of form (white sugar, honey even fruit) plus she's gluten free. I started with a cake recipe with only 1/2 cup of sugar and instead of a glaze, I added chai mix to the cake itself and served it with very lightly sweetened whipped cream and optional fresh strawberries for the other guests. If you can't do dairy, I recommend coconut or cashew cream instead (that's what my mum did with my earlier tests). If sugar isn't an issue for you, I bet it would be great with a chai glaze and some fresh mango or passion fruit.
Adapted from http://whatsgabycooking.com/gluten-free-almond-cake-strawberries/ —Mercy Victoria
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Meal
- 4 Eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup Sugar (minus up to 2 TBLs)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- A few Cardamum Pods (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Instant Chai
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toast almond meal and cardamom in a large frying pan on low heat, remove cardamom pods, set aside to cool
- Beat egg yolks, half the sugar and the vanilla in a medium bowl until combined
- Add baking powder and chai to cooled almond meal, mix until combined
- Add almond meal mixture to egg yolk mixture and mix to combine, it should have the consistency of soft cookie dough
- Whip egg whites until foamy, then add salt and remaining sugar slowly while continuing to whip egg whites until they hold soft peaks
- Fold egg whites into yolk and almond meal mixture in six parts, by the end, batter will be light and fluffy
- Spoon batter carefully into lined muffin tins taking care not to tap muffin tins and pop air bubbles
- Bake for 12 minutes or until tops are golden brown
- Cool completely and enjoy with whipped cream and fresh fruit
More Great Recipes: Cakes