If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my incredibly easy paneer cheese, so easy it almost doesn't need a recipe. It's a great way to get more high quality dairy in your diet and you can flavour it in lots of different ways. —Spice Mama
Makes 1 large round of cheese
- 2 liters full cream milk
- 3-4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring the milk to boil in a large heavy based pot, stirring to ensure it does not stick to the bottom.
- When the milk boils, add salt and any other flavourings you have in mind (fresh herbs, cumin seeds and dried red chilli, brown sugar, cardamom and saffron) and then add the vinegar.
- The milk will split into curds and whey fairly fast. When it does, turn off the heat and then strain the liquid into a muslin cloth lined strainer in the sink. wrap the solids into a ball with the cloth, then squeeze tightly to get as much liquid out as possible.
- With your hands, form the cheese into a round, flat pat and place back in the strainer with a heavy weight on top of it. Leave for 30 minutes and by that stage your cheese should be done!
- You can use this cheese in palak paneer or lots of Indian dishes, fry pieces in oil like halloumi, serve it fresh with flatbreads or on toast.