If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These tofu wings are a delicious, sticky, oil-free version of an American favourite. Dipped in a ranch dressing made using tahini, these are a real treat but still whole-food healthy. —Laura Hemmington
Tofu Wings & BBQ Sauce Coating
- 250 grams Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons Gram Flour
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Onion Granules
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 400 grams Tin Chopped Tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Orange, juiced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Chilli Flakes
- pinches Black Pepper
Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 10 grams Fresh Dill
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- pinches Cayenne Pepper
- THE DAY BEFORE: cut the block of tofu into 5 slices, each about 1 cm thick, then cut each slice in half again so you have 10 pieces. Place between sheets of kitchen paper on a plate and freeze. Remove from the freezer a couple of hours before you want to start cooking, in order to defrost.
- Heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Once the tofu has defrosted, press between sheets of kitchen paper until most of the water has gone (you can do this using a heavy book). You don't the tofu to be so dry that it crumbles, but just to remove most of the water.
- Combine the ingredients for the tofu coating 'batter' in a bowl.
- Dip each tofu wing into the batter to fully coat and place on a non-stick baking tray, greased with a little oil if needed.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 30 minutes, turning once half way through.
- Next, put the BBQ sauce on to simmer. Combine all the ingredients and cook on a medium heat on the hob, covering with a lid once it starts to bubble and spit. You want a thick sauce, so simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- While the wings and BBQ sauce is cooking, make the ranch. Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Once the wings have been cooking for 30 minutes, remove from the oven. Carefully place each one in the BBQ sauce, coat using a spoon, then place back onto the baking tray.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes, arrange on a plate with the ranch and serve!
- Freezing the tofu isn't essential, but it lads to a chewier texture. If you're not freezing it, drain and press for a little longer, ensuring as much water is squeezed out as possible.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu