Author Notes: In Manila and here in NoVA (Northern Virginia), this is still my favorite summer fruit drink as a smoothie and more so when the cantaloupe is shredded. It is very refreshing like a watermelon drink. To make it more mouthwatering big tapioca pearls are added, hence a big straw is needed but can easily be found in big Chinese stores or here* from the global web retailer. —thechewinn-nova.com
cantaloupe, divided into quarters
cups seltzer water
Tbsps turbinado sugar (for a molasses flavor)
cups of bottled big tapioca (instructions to cook on package) available in Chinese or here**
- Sliced and place seeds in a strainer. Press seeds on top of a small bowl to get all the cantaloupe juice from the seeds, set aside.
- Make slices on the fruit to shorten shreds of fruits (to easily sip with fat straw). Shred quartered cantaloupe in a big colander on top of a big bowl to save all the drippings from the cantaloupe.
- Combine all the cantaloupe juice, seltzer water and sugar in a pitcher or bowl and stir. Pour juice mixture on ice trays to make 16 ice cubes.
- Combine the shredded cantaloupe and mixed juice in pitcher or bowl and refrigerate. As soon as the ice cubes are ready to use (about 3 hours), serve the drink.
- To serve, put 1/2 cup cooked tapioca on each glass, then pour the cantaloupe mixture and topped with ice cubes.