If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crispy tofu with the magic of a waffle iron! —Colleen Stem
- 1/2 a block of extra firm tofu cut about an inch thick slices
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- pinch or two of chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons oil plus more to brush onto iron
- a piece 4-5 inch piece of baguette or 2 slices of thick bread (use gluten free bread if you want)
- About a 1/3 cup of cooked or roasted squash or sweet potato
- 1/2 an avocado
- sriracha (if you are into it)
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the juice of 1/2 the lime,the cumin and chill powder, a pinch of salt and pepper and 3 teaspoons of oil. Set aside Preheat waffle iron to either the on setting or if it has variable setting, high.
- Take your tofu and remove as much of the liquid as you can by pressing it between two clean kitchen towels. When you get as much of the liquid out as you can, take the tofu and place into the cumin mixture and coat both sides. Ready the iron by brushing each side with a little more oil just to make sure it doesn't stick and place the tofu on the iron, close it up, and let it do it's thing for about 8-10 minutes. (check after 6-7 to see whats what and if is as crispy crunchy as you like, remove. If you think it could use another minute or two, well close it back up and keep ironing it. And when the tofu is done, it's time tot make compile it all together.
- Toast you bread you are going to use. Once toasted mash a good amount of squash onto toast. Place tofu on top of that and thinly sliced avocado on top of that. Finish with a sprinkle of salt, a squeeze of lime juice and if you are feeling a bit more spicy, a few drizzle drops of sriracha. Eat right away. Do not share...they can make their own.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu