If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Chili sauce for Spicy Tofu Stew
- 7 teaspoons Korean red chili powder (Gochugaru)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon mirin or cooking sake
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Mix all dry and wet ingredients in a bowl except for the oil.
- Heat oil in sauce pan on medium high heat
- Add chili sauce mixed above into pot with heated oil. Stir regularly to prevent the mixture from burning
- Stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
Ingredients for Soft Tofu Stew(jjigae)
- 11 ounces extra soft tofu (1 pack)
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (prepared above)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Korean soy sauce for soup (Guk Ganjang) or dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 1 egg
- Open the soft tofu pack and add it to the clay pot (if you have one. if you don't, you can use a small pot instead).
- Add enough water (about 1/2 C) to fully cover the tofu. Get a spoon and break up the tofu into smaller pieces.
- Stir 1 Tbs of chili sauce to the pot.
- Add additional salt, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Start cooking the jjigae on medium high heat and once it starts to boil, turn heat to low.
- Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and bring it to the table. Add the green onions and crack one egg and drop it into the pot while it's still bubbling.
- Depending on your personal taste, you can break up the egg to have it cooked completely or let the egg stay whole in the jjigae if you enjoy eating half boiled eggs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu