If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A trio of very good things comes together in this recipe, adapted loosely from Baker's Chocolate: a buttery shortbread crust, a creamy chocolate pudding filling, and an airy meringue topping. —Posie Harwood
Makes one 13-x-4-inch tart (or one 9-inch pie)
For the crust
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling + topping
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the softened butter and egg yolk and stir until well combined. Press the shortbread mixture firmly into a 13-x-4-inch tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan. Prick with a fork and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the filling.
- For the filling, whisk together the cornstarch, 3/4 cup of sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Whisk in the milk and add the chocolate; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to melt the chocolate. Cook until the mixture thickens, then continue to cook for 1 more minute.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the 2 egg yolks. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the hot ingredients, whisking constantly.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Let the pudding cool completely.
- While the pudding cools, make the meringue. Beat 2 egg whites on high speed until frothy. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the pudding filling into the cooled shortbread crust. Spoon the meringue over top of the filling and smooth it over. Place the pie under a broiler (watch carefully!) until the meringue is toasted, or use a kitchen torch to brown the top. Slice and serve! Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!