- Makes one 13-x-4-inch tart (or one 9-inch pie)
A trio of very good things comes together in this recipe, adapted loosely from Baker's Chocolate: a buttery shortbread crust, a creamy chocolate pudding filling, and an airy meringue topping. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
What You'll Need
- For the crust
- For the filling + topping
1 1/2 ounces
unsweetened baking chocolate
sugar, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the softened butter and egg yolk and stir until well combined. Press the shortbread mixture firmly into a 13-x-4-inch tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan. Prick with a fork and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the filling.
- For the filling, whisk together the cornstarch, 3/4 cup of sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Whisk in the milk and add the chocolate; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to melt the chocolate. Cook until the mixture thickens, then continue to cook for 1 more minute.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the 2 egg yolks. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the hot ingredients, whisking constantly.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Let the pudding cool completely.
- While the pudding cools, make the meringue. Beat 2 egg whites on high speed until frothy. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the pudding filling into the cooled shortbread crust. Spoon the meringue over top of the filling and smooth it over. Place the pie under a broiler (watch carefully!) until the meringue is toasted, or use a kitchen torch to brown the top. Slice and serve! Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator.