If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The serendipitous bonus of my marriage is that I have one of the most awesome sister-in-laws on the planet Earth. Her Texas roots are all over these killer black beans. When we visit her in Austin, my daughter and I eat her black beans for breakfast. Here is her recipe. Nothing is exact in this recipe so do like Cindy and pour in the love. —DjeenDjeen
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 poblano or green chili, chopped
- 1 can Rotel or roasted tomatoes (large size)
- 1/2 ancho chili with a little sauce from the can (also can use chipotle)
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2-4 tablespoons cumin
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- H20/ veggie broth / chicken broth
- salt to taste
- Wash black beans.
- Put beans in stock pot and add H2O/broth to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add all ingredients except salt and cilantro. Bring to boil and simmer 2-3 hours, adding liquid as needed.
- Before serving add salt and cilantro* * I deviated from Cindy's recipe and added a bunch of cilantro with all of the veggies. Added more cilantro before serving. Another deviation from Cindy's recipe -- addition of 1 bay leaf to pot with beans at the outset.