Author Notes: ohana is family and there is no favorite family food like a burger. in hawaii we like to spend time on the beach so this is a best burger for the grill. i was going to call this a blue hawaii burger but im not an elvis fan. this burger is no ka 'oi! —woody
lb lean ground sirloin (12 % fat)
spam, sliced thin
1/2 cube butter, softened
4 tbs blue cheese crumbles
2 maui onions
4 hamburger buns , sweet hawaiian is my favorite, but like thin ones too
- when the butter soft, mix the blue cheese crumbles in it.
- make 4 patties out of the beef.
- make a pocket in the patty with your finger and stuff it with the blue cheese and butter combo and then cover the hole with more beef.
- do this with all patties.
- make a hot grill using wood or charcoal.
- cook each burger patty until it is as cooked as you want it. grill the spam. don't use the whole can. you can use the rest for tomorrow breakfast.
- brush the sliced maui onions with oil and grill them too.
- toast the buns too
- assemble: bun bottom, mayo, hamburger ,spam, maui onion, tomato and bun top with more mayo. then salt and pepper.
- no ka 'oi if there is any cheese and butter left over just spread it over the grilled hamburger bun.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Burgers