If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sponge cake layers with whipped cream, fresh blueberries, and lemon curd —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes one 6-inch layered cake
- 3 large egg, room temp, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade lemon curd
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar on high speed until thick and light in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Mix for another minute.
- Sift flour and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over top of egg yolk mixture. Fold the flour mixture in the egg mixture, followed by half of the meringue.
- Fold the rest of the meringue into the batter until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pans evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake edge and place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until it holds stiff peaks.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on your serving plate and spread 1/3 of the whipped cream on top. Drizzle about a tablespoon of lemon curd on the cream. Place a few blueberries along the edge of the cake, and scatter some in the centre. Top with other cake layers, followed with cream, lemon curd and blueberries.
- Chill the cake until ready to serve.