If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Blueberry preserves, basil, and lemon zest lighten and liven this classic deli favorite, and make for a delightful summer cookie. —2 Parts Flour
Makes: 3 dozen
cup unsalted butter, room temperature
ounces cream cheese, room temperature
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon lemon zest
powdered sugar for rolling out dough
cups blueberry preserves
tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir the blueberry preserves and chopped basil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- On slow speed, mix in the egg yolk. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest and mix until just incorporate.
- Split the dough into three pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper if you don't have one.
- Remove the blueberry and basil mixture from the refrigerator. Microwave 30 sec to 1 minutes or until the mixture is thinner and easier to spread. Set aside.
- Generously dust a large, clean surface with powdered sugar. Remove one of the three pieces of dough from the refrigerator and turn it out onto the dusted surface.
- Working carefully so the dough does not stick, roll out the rugelach dough to 1/8" thickness.
- Spoon a third of the preserves onto the rolled out dough and spread until it is evenly distributed.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 4 pieces. Cut each of the 4 pieces into 4 additional pieces. You should now have 12 triangular pieces of a similar size.
- Remove one triangle from the larger circle at a time. Carefully roll each piece, starting with the widest part (or base) of the triangle.
- Place the rugelach onto the baking sheet and into the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator, and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.