If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flaky cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 4 thick slices challah (1/2- to 3/4-inch thick)
- Butter, as needed for frying
- Zest of 1 lemon, for garnishing (optional)
- Fresh fruit, for serving (optional)
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, tahini, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix together crushed cereal, coconut, and sesame seeds.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, melt about 2 tablespoons of butter, or enough to generously coat the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, working with one or two bread slices at a time, dip into the liquid ingredients (both sides), then into the dry ingredients (both sides), pressing with your fingers or a spoon so that the dry stuff sticks. Repeat this process (a double dip!).
- Fry the pieces over medium heat: You don't want to get the pan too hot or the seeds and coconut shreds will burn. Once the bottom side is golden-brown and delicious looking, flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with all pieces of bread.
- To serve, shower with lemon zest and top with fresh fruit.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!