The Crusty whole meal bread is yummy with the sweet peaches, salty cream cheese and smoked turkey. The addition of the cherry balsamic vinegar reduction is a great layer of flavor over the cooling freshly shredded ice burg lettuce.
Using peaches here are great way to add fruit into a meal, the addition of cherries create another dimension of flavor. Served best when warm out of the oven or frozen squares can be warmed in the microwave just before eating. If there are any left for freezing that is!
1 3/4 cups
All purpose flour
Dry active yeast
Cherry balsamic Reduction & Filling
Black pepper powder
Smoked turkey slices
Walnuts (roughly chopped)
In This Recipe
For the Cherry Balsamic Reduction:
1. In a sauté pan add the onions, olive oil, cherries and most of the balsamic vinegar. Let it cook on low heat until it reduces to 1/3rd. Add water and reduce further.
2. Take off heat and blend until smooth. Strain and adjust consistency with additional balsamic vinegar. Season to taste and set aside.
For the Dough:
1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Set aside for 10 mins in a warm place until frothy.
2. In a bowl mix the flours and salt together with your fingers. Add the olive oil and pour in the water mixture.
3. Knead the dough for atleast 10-15 mins until smooth. It will feel sticky hence keep oiling your hands to knead it. This can also be done in a stand mixer for quicker results and less arm exertion.
4. Let it proof for atleast 1 hour before shaping into the desired baking tray.
1. Preheat the oven to max.
2. In a square baking tray, grease it with olive oil and sprinkle over semolina flour.
3. Place the dough in the baking tray and using your fingers, spread the dough into the tray covering the surface.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and dried thyme. Add the blue cheese, sprinkling evenly.
5. Layer the cream cheese and then the turkey on the surface. Evenly line the sliced peaches over and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
6. Drizzle with olive oil, lower the temperature to 220 and bake the pie for 25-30 mins until golden on the outside and when taken out of the tray its dry to the touch. The bread should also have a hollow sound at the bottom with knocked with your fingers.
1. Drizzle with olive oil and a littleof the balsamic reduction. Add the shredded lettuce and drizzle over the remaining lettuce.
2. Serve warm with a glass of red grape.