Lentil Praline Ice Cream with homemade caramel! This no churn ice cream recipe is the unexpected treat you have to try! —Palouse Brand
- Serves 16
cans sweetened condensed milk
Granny Smith apple, finely grated
1 1/2 teaspoons
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450. Rinse and drain ¾ cup of lentils, soak for 1 hour.
- Drain all water off lentils. Spread lentils onto paper towels and cover with paper towels to absorb as much water as possible.
- Melt butter, add oil, salt and lentils and toss.
- Spread mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 14 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove and set aside.
- Combine ½ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Swirl the pan, let it bubble and boil until all water evaporates and sugar turns golden.
- Remove from heat, add roasted lentils, and stir until completely coated. Cool on parchment or wax paper.
- When cooled, break the pralines up into small chunks and set aside.
- Remove label from one can of sweetened condensed milk
- Put a clean dish cloth in the bottom of a deep pot of water or sauce pan on the stove, set the unopened can of condensed milk on top of the dish cloth making certain it is completely covered with water at all times
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce heat. Maintain a light simmer for three hours. Check frequently to ensure the water level is high enough to cover the can completely.
- Remove from heat and leave the can in the water to cool completely. Your dulce de leche (caramel) is made inside the can, and will be waiting for you to open the can and scoop it out when it comes time for you to use towards the end of this recipe. We have just completed the first two parts of making our delicious ice cream.
- Place remain ¼ cup lentils in a sauce pan with ¾ cups of water and 1 tbs sugar, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Grate in the apple and cook for another 10 minutes. This lentil mixture should have the same basic consistency of a cooked cereal.
- Add cooked lentil mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Add in ½ cup of the dulce de leche (caramel) and blend until completely smooth (you may need to warm the dulce de leche a bit since it has been cooled and sitting).
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan melt the butter until browned, add cinnamon, vanilla, pralines made on Day #1 (hold back about 1/3 cup of the pralines for sprinkling on servings, see below) and condensed milk together. Blend mixture well.
- In a large chilled bowl, whip the whipping cream until stiff and set aside.
- Fold the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and drizzle in the remaining dulche de leche (caramel), may need to slightly warm for the drizzling, then gently fold in.
- Place your lentil homemade ice cream in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Sprinkle each serving with a little of the crunchy pralines.