Author Notes: My mom has been making this for years. Its simple to make and you probably have all the ingredients already. Great for drop-in company and leftovers are wonderful for breakfast too. —MiMiBee
cups flour, sifted
teaspoons baking powder
tablespoon sugar, plus more for top
stick unsalted butter
egg, lightly beaten
plums, sliced thin
cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- 1. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar together. Take 1/3 cup of the butter and cut into 1/4 inch dice. With your fingers, mix the butter into the dry ingredients until it is incorporated pretty well but not too much; it should still be a little lumpy.
- 3. Lightly beat the egg, and add it and the milk into the dry mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until the liquid is incorporated and you have a soft dough.
- 4. With your fingers spread the dough into the pan. Place fruit in concentric circles on top of the dough. Cover with dots of the remaining butter and sprinkle liberally with sugar and cinnamon.
- 5. Bake for 30 minutes or until top edges become golden brown.
- You can serve this alone but it is marvelous with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream for that matter. It is also good for breakfast or to serve at brunch.