Author Notes: Bulgur is a delicious way to eat whole grains in a wide variety of recipes. It is has a fluffy texture and is very filling. —Palouse Brand
cup hard red winter wheat berries
In This Recipe
- Place water in large bowl.
- Add wheat and allow to soak until the liquid is absorbed and wheat is tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Thoroughly drain and pat wheat berries dry.
- Spread drained wheat berries thinly on a baking or cookie sheet and place in oven at 200° until dry enough to crack easily, usually about an hour. Crack wheat in a grain mill, blender or with a zip lock bag and a rolling pin.
- Sift out the smallest flour-like bits (they will form a paste you don’t want in your recipe.