Author Notes: I've never been much of a tomato person, so the fact I am willing to blanch tomatoes, which in my opinion is one of the weirdest things to do to a tomato, in order to make this perfect summer dish is certainly saying something. The number of tomatoes really depends on the size of them- for smaller use 8-10 while if you've got those real big ones, stick to around 6. —Clara Mora
tablespoons Italian seasoning
pound mozzarella cheese
package of spaghetti
- Boil water in a large pot or saucepan.
- Prepare another bowl filled with cold water and set aside
- While the water is boiling, add tomatoes one at a time to pot for 10-15 seconds.
- Take each tomato out and place them in the bowl of cold water for 30 seconds.
- Peel the skin off of each tomato.
- Dice tomatoes and add to bowl. Mash them with masher or bottom of spoon.
- Add olive oil, Italian seasoning, and basil. Add salt and add more as necessary.
- Press and add garlic. Stir all together and let sit covered in a fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Make spaghetti according to box instructions. Add cheese to tomato mixture and and add to spaghetti and toss.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper