Author Notes: This is adapted from great family friends who are Armenian. Surely there's a more authentic recipe (and name!) out there, but here's the version that became a staple in my house growing up and now, in my own kitchen. —Midge
Food52 Review: The Lulu Kabobs are perfect for a quick weeknight meal when you want a little bit of an exotic flavor. They were easy to make and tasty. I broiled them, but would recommend the grill as the house did get a bit smoky. The veggies and yogurt made a great pita sandwich with these meatballs. - TheGingerCook
pound ground lamb
tablespoons tomato paste
garlic cloves, minced
cup fresh parsley, chopped
teaspoon allspice, freshly ground
Greek yogurt (full fat)
chopped red onion
fresh dill or parsley, chopped
any pickled veggies
- Blend together all ingredients except for lamb.
- Gently fold in lamb to the mixture, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape into oblong balls, sort of egg-shaped but bigger (so it fits nicely tucked into pita bread).
- Broil or grill for about 7-8 minutes per side.
- Serve in pita bread with yogurt, assorted veggies, pickles, and herbs.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs