Brightly coloured raw cookie sandwiches. —Amy Levin
- Makes 20
- Chocolate Cookies
cacao butter, melted
water, or as needed
coconut butter, softened
xylitol or honey
1 1/2 tablespoons
coconut oil, softened
1/3 - 1/2 cups
dried beetroot powder
matcha tea powder, spirulina or chlorella
In This Recipe
- Chocolate Cookies
- In a food processor blend the first 7 ingredients just to combine well.
- Add the cacao butter and a little water at a time until the mix comes together into a ball, but not a very wet one. You’ll be rolling this dough out, so it should be firm but moist.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of teflex or greaseproof paper to a ¼ -⅓ inch thickness or so.
- Using a cookie cutter or a ring mould cut into 1 ½ – 2 inch rounds in diameter and place onto a greaseproof paper lined tray.
- Repeat until all the dough has been used up and then pop the tray of cookies into the fridge to set firm – this only takes about 15 minutes.
- Make the frostings while they set.
- In a blender combine the first three ingredients at low speed, just so they incorporate.
- With the blender still running on low, drizzle in the water. Scrape the sides of the blender as needed to be sure it’s all fully incorporated.
- Add your colourant of choice, start with a little bit so you can get a feel of how much of an impact it will have. You can always add, but you can’t take away.
- The icing will thicken as it cools, so feel free to warm it over a bowl of hot water or in the dehydrator to keep it at a nice working temp. It shouldn’t be super runny, but a little loose.
- Line the cookies on a large tray in pairs upside down, one will be the bottom and one will be the top.
- Using a teaspoon, dollop a small amount of icing in the centre of the cookie and then gently press it’s pair on top and press so that the icing fills out evenly. This takes a little practice.
- Continue until all cookies are used.
- Place in the fridge or freezer to set up – about 5-10 minutes.
- Once they are firmly set, place them on your left and have your coloured coconut and melted chocolate in front of you and an empty tray to your right to set the completed cookies on.
- Half dip a cookie into the chocolate and then allow the excess to drip off.
- Roll that dipped side of the cookie in the corresponding coloured coconut and then place it on the prepared sheet to your right.
- Repeat with all the cookies, set in the fridge – about 10 minutes – and then store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge or a few months in the freezer.