A frozen dessert with a grain-free, egg-free, and sugar-free crust. The filling is refined sugar-free too, only using the sweetness of fresh blueberries and coconut cream. Best served cold, this dessert is a major hit for raw foodists, vegans, Candida Killers, Paleo Warriors, and JERF types. —albjournal
- Makes 1 Pie
Coconut oil, solid
Coconut oil, melted
Cans coconut cream, cold
Vanilla bean powder
Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour and arrowroot flour. Add salt and mix.
- Using a pastry cutter and/or two forks, cut in the cold coconut oil into pea size balls. Use the cold water slowly to bring the clumps together into a crumbly dough. Don't mix too much, only until combined.
- Get a deep pie dish. Using your hands, spread mixture evenly along bottoms and the sides. Push firmly into the dish. With a fork, make holes in the crust all over the bottom.
- Brush melted coconut over bottom.
- Place crust in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool completely. While pie crust is cooling, prepare filling.
- In a cold metal bowl, put only the solid coconut cream from both cans in. Don't add any of the liquid (save this for smoothies, etc.). Add zest of 1 lemon, sea salt, coconut oil, and vanilla bean powder.
- Whip coconut cream until firm peaks form, or it's the consistency of whipped cream.
- Take half of the batter and fold it into the pie crust. Smooth it out to about halfway up the crust. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- While base is firming, blend blueberries into a puree. Fold the blueberry mixture into the remaining whipped coconut cream. It will be more liquid.
- Take base out of the freezer and pour blueberry cream on top, and sprinkle with coconut. Do this step quickly as to not let the base start to thaw.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pie and place in fridge for another 30 minutes, or until top layer is firm.
- Slice and serve.
- NOTES: I like to keep this pie in the freezer after the first serve. The pie is delicious solid as it is a little thawed. Just take it out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving