Author Notes: There's nothing more satisfying than popping out into the garden, picking some things from the patch and cooking with them straight away. Today's pick was zucchini (which we are currently consuming for breakfast, lunch and dinner!), zucchini flowers and shiso, also known as perilla. Not really a fan of purple things but this purple shiso I'm learning is a very versatile little leaf. I brought a seedling last year to give it a go, let it seed and this year it's self seeded - love it. Paired with a few eggs from mums chooks, my favourite chorizo curado (the real stuff) and some sour cream makes a killer tortilla served hot right out of the pan or chilled and served the following day. —Cle-ann
Good splash (approx. 1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 zucchini (approx. 2 cups), thinly sliced
1/2 Spanish chorizo curado, sliced
5 shiso leaves
4 zucchini flowers, rinsed & stamens removed
4 free range eggs
Splash milk (approx. 2 tbsp, optional)
Pinch salt flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
Dollop sour cream (optional)
- Heat a 20cm cast iron pan on a small element over a medium heat.
- Add a really good splash of olive oil to the pan, add zucchini and gentle cook stirring occasionally for a few minutes. Transfer to a small plate.
- Turn to high and add chorizo, cook until it realises it's red oils into the pan and is slightly crisp.
- Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Add zucchini back to the pan, reduce heat to low, stir to mix through the zucchini so it's coated in the beautiful red paprika oil released from the chorizo.
- Arrange zucchini flowers on top of the pan and tear over shiso leaves.
- Break 4 eggs into a small jug, add a splash of milk and whisk with a fork.
- Pour into pan, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, let it gently cook for a couple of minutes. Transfer under the grill and cook until the egg is no longer wobbly, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, add a dollop of sour cream, garnish with shiso leaves and a pinch of smoked paprika (optional).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner