If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A one pot Tex Mex delight with the added sweet richness from dark chocolate. —Dhanya Samuel
- 3.3 pounds beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tomatoes; finely chopped
- 1 can black beans (optional or use any variety you prefer)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 red jalapenos; finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup melted dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Salt, to season
- Black pepper, to season
- 1 red jalapeno; sliced for garnish
- Cheddar, grated for garnish
- Keep all your ingredients chopped and ready to go.
- In a large heavy bottom pan, brown the ground beef.
- Next add the onions and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Then add all the other ingredients and mix well to combine. Add less seasonings if you wish to and build up as you go.
- Simmer on low heat for around 45 minutes; check and stir occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings especially the sweet: spice balance.
- Serve hot with sliced jalapenos and grated cheddar.
- Note: If you prefer a thinner chili, add stock or if you prefer the tomatoey flavour, then add an extra can of crushed tomatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner