If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eggs in purgatory is such an amazing one pan wonder breakfast with loads of my beloved Italian flavors! It comes together easily in 15 minutes too with the eggs quickly poached in a fiery tomato sauce. —Leigh Suznovich
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 an onion, diced small
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch truffle infused salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional to sprinkle on top
- 6 eggs
- 4 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- toast, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and let them get soft and fragrant for a minute. Then add the diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper, smoked paprika, salt and parmesan. Stir it all together and let it gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the "purgatory" mixture simmers, crack each of the eggs into their own little individual bowls. Then gently slide each of them on top of the purgatory mixture, with 5 around the edge and one in the middle. Cover the skillet with its lid and let the eggs poach for 2-3 minutes. Once the eggs are poached, its ready! Sprinkle additional parmesan on top along with the chopped basil. Serve immediately with toast!